Last Updated on by Sabina
Philip Abbott Biography
Philip Abbott (March 20, 1924 – February 23, 1998) was an American character actor. He appeared in several films and numerous television series, including a lead role as Arthur Ward in the crime series The F.B.I. Abbott was also the founder of Theatre West in Los Angeles.
Abbott was born in Lincoln, Nebraska, in 1924. He attended Fordham University and the American Academy of Dramatic Arts. After serving in the United States Army during World War II, he began his acting career in New York City. He made his Broadway debut in 1948 in the play “The Survivors.”
In 1952, Abbott moved to Los Angeles to pursue a career in television. He made his television debut in the series “The Pepsi-Cola Playhouse.” He went on to appear in numerous television series, including “Justice,” “The Eleventh Hour,” “The Lloyd Bridges Show,” and “The F.B.I.”
Abbott’s film career included roles in “Sweet Bird of Youth” (1962), “Miracle of the White Stallions” (1963), and “Hangar 18” (1980).
In addition to his acting career, Abbott was also a successful businessman. He founded Theatre West in Los Angeles in 1960. Theatre West is a non-profit theater company that produces classic and contemporary plays.
Abbott was married to Jane Dufrayne from 1948 until his death in 1998. They had three children. Abbott died of cancer in Tarzana, California, in 1998 at the age of 73.
Philip Abbott Age
Philip Abbott was born on March 20, 1924, and died on February 23, 1998. He was 73 years old at the time of his death.
Philip Abbott Wife I Philip Abbott Children
Philip Abbott was married to Jane Dufrayne from 1948 until his death in 1998. They had three children:
- David Abbott
- Denise Abbott
- Nelson Abbott
David Abbott is a film and television producer. He has worked on films such as “The Mask” (1994) and “The Mummy” (1999).
Denise Abbott is an actress. She has appeared in films such as “The Graduate” (1967) and “The Poseidon Adventure” (1972).
Nelson Abbott is a businessman. He is the president of Abbott Entertainment Group, a company that produces and distributes films and television shows.
Philip Abbott and Jane Dufrayne were married for over 50 years. They were a devoted couple and raised their children together in Los Angeles. They were both active in the theater community and were founding members of Theatre West.
Philip Abbott Movies
Philip Abbott appeared in over 100 films and television series throughout his career. Some of his most notable film roles include:
- The Bachelor Party (1957): A comedy about a group of men who throw a bachelor party for their friend. Abbott plays Arnold Craig, the best man.
- The Invisible Boy (1957): A science fiction film about a boy who becomes invisible after being exposed to a chemical. Abbott plays Dr. Tom Merrinoe, the head of a research institute.
- Sweet Bird of Youth (1962): A drama about a young woman who returns home to her hometown after a long absence. Abbott plays Dr. George Scudder, a psychiatrist who treats the young woman.
- Miracle of the White Stallions (1963): A historical drama about the rescue of a herd of white Lipizzaner horses from Nazi-occupied Czechoslovakia. Abbott plays Col. Reed, the American officer who leads the rescue mission.
- Hangar 18 (1980): A science fiction film about a government facility that houses alien spacecraft. Abbott plays Dr. John Ashley, a scientist who investigates the facility.
Abbott also appeared in numerous television series, including
- Justice (1954-1956): A legal drama about a group of lawyers who work for the Legal Aid Society of New York. Abbott played John Barrett, one of the lawyers.
- The Eleventh Hour (1962-1964): A medical drama about a psychiatrist who helps people with mental health problems. Abbott played Dr. David Craig, the psychiatrist.
- The Tall Man (1960-1962): A western series about a lawman who is tasked with bringing law and order to a lawless town. Abbott played Capt. Dan Matthews, the lawman.
- The F.B.I. (1965-1974): A crime drama about the Federal Bureau of Investigation. Abbott played Arthur Ward, one of the agents.
Philip Abbott was a versatile actor who appeared in a wide range of films and television series. He was a talented character actor who could play a variety of roles, from serious to comedic. He will be remembered for his many memorable performances and his contributions to the entertainment industry.
Philip Abbott Cause of Death
Philip Abbott died of cancer on February 23, 1998, at the age of 73. He had been diagnosed with cancer in 1997 and underwent treatment, but the cancer eventually spread and he died at his home in Tarzana, California.
Abbott’s death was a shock to his friends and family, as he had kept his cancer diagnosis private. He was a private person and did not want to make his illness public knowledge. He continued to work until shortly before his death, and he never let his illness slow him down.
Abbott’s death was a loss to the entertainment industry. He was a talented actor who had appeared in a wide range of films and television series. Abbott was also a successful businessman and the founder of Theatre West in Los Angeles.