Gavin Macleod Biography
Gavin MacLeod born Allan George See is an American film and television character actor, ship’s ambassador, Christian activist and author. His career spans six decades of television. He has also appeared as a guest on several talk, and religious shows.
Gavin grew up in Pleasantville and studied acting at Ithaca College and graduated in 1952. He served in the United States Air Force but he later moved to New York City and worked at Radio City Music Hall while looking for acting work.
At this time, he changed his name, getting “Gavin” from a physically disabled victim in a TV drama, and “MacLeod” from his Ithaca drama coach called Beatrice MacLeod.
In 1957, Gavin made his television debut on The Walter Winchell File at the age of 26. He first appeared in 1958 in a movie as a small, uncredited role in The True Story of Lynn Stuart.
Actor Gavin Macleod
Gavins first regular TV role came in 1962 as Joseph “Happy” Haines on McHale’s Navy. He left after two seasons to appear in the motion picture, The Sand Pebbles with Steve McQueen. Between 1965 and 1969, he appeared in many weekly episodes and in multiple roles on the TV series Hogan’s Heroes.
He played as Major Zolle in season 1 episode 19, as General Metzger in season 3 episode 27, as Major Kiegel in season 4, episode 1 and as General von Rauscher in season 4, episode 23.
The roles were usually a stern and discerning officer of the Schutzstaffel (SS), Luftwaffe or Geheime Staatspolizei (Gestapo) which differ much from the lovable characters he portrayed in his following TV roles.
His breakout role as Murray Slaughter on The Mary Tyler Moore Show awarded him lasting fame, and two Golden Globe nominations.
Gavin Macleod Love Boat
His starring role as Captain Stubing on The Love Boat, his subsequent TV series, brought laughter to 90 countries worldwide, this was for 9 seasons between 1977 and 1986. Gavins’ work on that particular show earned him three Golden Globe nominations.
He co-starred with familiar actor and best friend Bernie Kopell as Dr. Adam Bricker and unfamiliar actor and best friend Ted Lange as bartender Isaac Washington.
Gavin became the global ambassador for Princess Cruises in 1986. He has also played a role in ceremonies launching many of the line’s new ships.
He joined the Love Boat cast on The Oprah Winfrey Show in 1997. It was the first full cast appearance since the show was terminated eleven years back in 1986.
After The Love Boat, he toured with Michael Learned of The Waltons in Love Letters. Between 1997 and 2003, he made various appearances in musicals such as Gigi and Copacabana.
He appeared with the Colorado Symphony in Denver in December 2008.
Gavin and his wife have been hosts on the Trinity Broadcasting Network for 17 years, they primarily host a show about marriage known as Back on Course.
Gavin Macleod Net Worth
The American actor and politician has a net worth of $10 million.
Gavin Macleod Age | Dead Or Alive |
How Old Is Gavin Macleod?
He was born Allan George See on February 28 1931 in Mount Kisco, New York. MacLeod is still alive.
Gavin Macleod Family
MacLeod was born the elder in a family of two. His mother Margaret See was a middle school dropout and worked for Reader’s Digest. She died in 2004. His father George See was an electrician and was part Chippewa. George died in 1945.
Gavin Macleod Marriage | Wife | Patti Macleod
He married his current wife Patti in 1974. They were both previously divorced. They divorced in the 1980s, but were later remarried in 1985.
Gavin Macleod Christian
During the mid-1980s, MacLeod and Patti became Evangelical Christians and credit their religion for bringing them back together.
In his time as the Captain on The Love Boat, MacLeod “very selfishly” (his words) divorced his wife Patti. Patti spent the next three years seeking help from psychiatrists on both the west and the east coasts.
One day, his wife received a telephone call from Patti Lewis, first wife of Jerry Lewis who invited her to a Christian prayer group. The group contained a number of famous actresses , they started to pray for Gavin. Gavin said, “From that day, I started to think about her.
Something told me to call Patti. I called Patti. I went back to see her the following Monday and things haven’t been the same since.” Gavin asked her what had happened. She explained everything to him including that she had given her life to Christ.
Gavin Macleod Movies And Tv Shows
Gavin Macleod Movies
Here are some of his notable movies and TV shows:
- Kelly’s Heroes (1970)
- The Sand Pebbles (1966)
- War Hunt (1962)
- The Sword of Ali Baba (1965)
- The Party Crashers (1958)
- The Love Boat (1977-1986)
- The Mary Tyler Moore Show (1970-1977)
- McHale’s Navy (1962-1964)
- Happy Days (1978-1979)
- The Andy Griffith Show (1962)
These are just a few of the many movies and TV shows that Gavin MacLeod appeared in throughout his career.
Gavin Macleod Television Shows
- The Love Boat (1977-1986) – Gavin MacLeod is perhaps best known for his role as Captain Merrill Stubing in this popular TV series, which followed the romantic and comedic adventures of a luxury cruise ship.
- The Mary Tyler Moore Show (1970-1977) – MacLeod played the role of Murray Slaughter, a news writer and friend of Mary Richards (played by Mary Tyler Moore) in this beloved sitcom.
- McHale’s Navy (1962-1966) – MacLeod played seaman Joseph “Happy” Haines in this comedy series about a misfit crew on a PT boat during World War II.
- The Andy Griffith Show (1963-1965) – MacLeod appeared in two episodes of this classic sitcom, playing different characters each time.
- Hawaii Five-O (1973-1974) – MacLeod appeared in two episodes of this police procedural drama set in Hawaii, playing different characters each time.
- Murder, She Wrote (1984-1996) – MacLeod appeared in three episodes of this mystery series starring Angela Lansbury as amateur sleuth Jessica Fletcher.
- Touched by an Angel (1995-2003) – MacLeod appeared in two episodes of this popular drama series about angels helping people in need.
These are just a few examples of Gavin MacLeod’s extensive television career, which also included appearances on shows like Perry Mason, Rawhide, and Fantasy Island, among others.
Gavin Macleod Books
- Pugalier Training Guide Pugalier Training Book Features: Pugalier Housetraining,
- Obedience Training, Agility Training, Behavioral Training, Tricks and More
- This Is Your Captain Speaking: My Fantastic Voyage Through Hollywood, Faith and Life
- The Magical Oak Tree
- Action Robots: A Pop-up Book Showing How They Work
- Action Robots: A 3-dimensional, Working Pop-up Book
- Rural Leisure: Research Study
Gavin Macleod Gay
MacLeod is not gay, he has a wife known as Patti.
Gavin Macleod Height
He has a height of 1.8m.